Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas!

I have had ten days of vacation from Chinese classes. Since I do not have a real job, I have had the most free time in Taiwan since arriving here last year. It is nice. I have gotten to know some Russian people, and as a consequence want to go to Russia. I have become acquainted with a few new Taiwanese friends as well, but I cannot want to go to Taiwan because I am here, right now.

On the 25th of Merry Christmas I will go to Taipei and will come back on the 27th of Merry Christmas.

On the evening of the 31st I will leave for the base of Mt. Snow. On the 2nd of January I will hopefully be at the top for a moment, and come back to Tainan on the 3rd. If all goes according to plan, I will be furthest away from the deleterious effects of sea-level gravitational forces since birth.

In my free time I am reading some books:

1. The Generalissimo (still working on this one)
2. The Time Traveler's Wife (first non-textbook Chinese book!)
3. State and Society in the Taiwan Miracle
4. The "One China" Dilemma
5. Zen Buddhism and Psychoanalysis

It rained yesterday, and it was a nice winter rain, not a crazy summer rain.

My friend/Taiwanese patron Saint is going to let me live in his apartment for free starting in January.

This is a good place to stop. Expect some (gorgeous) photographs from the top of Taiwan soon.

2 comments:

Alison said...

I'm surprised that you have time off from school around the end of December. Does this mean that people celebrate Christmas in Taiwan?

Jonathan said...

no. this means I go to the Chinese school, where there are not Chinese/Taiwanese but rather a ton of foreigners who want to go home for Christmas...